Wires to lightswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have put up a light for someone outside their garage. The wires were already installed by the electrician previously. Putting the light on was not a problem, but the other end of the cable from the light had been left behind the existing light switch that powers the internal garage lights ready to be connected.. Assume this would mean the outside light would come on when the internal ones were put on. I am unsure where to connect the wires into this switch, can anybody help?. Photos attached for info. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How does the outside light operate?
Is it a PIR based light or a standard on/off?
The switch is currently wired as a two way switch which is linked to another switch nearby probably at the other end of the garage.
The electrician has left what appears to be both a live and neutral in the connector blocks.
If the outside light is a standard on/off then personally I would replace the current switch with a 2 gang two way switch and wire the three core and earth (brown, grey, black) as they are.
For the second gang (controlling the outside light) I would connect the incoming blue and earth cables (from the outside light) to their respective connector blocks - put the two browns (currently in the connector block) into the Common Terminal and the incoming brown to L1 on the new switch.
The same connections would also apply if the outside light was controlled by a PIR except that the switch should be left permanently on.

Thanks Riveralt, The outside light is standard on/off. I thought it was silly to have the light connected to the one gang switch anyway. Far better to have it work independently, so your idea of the two gang switch is a great idea. Many thanks for the wiring advice, I will give it a go

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have put up a light for someone outside their garage.
I'm curious to know why you thought it was a good idea to do electrical work for someone else when you don't actually know enough about it.

Thanks for your negative remark. I know enough it and have put up many lights in my life. It was just the configuration at the back of this switch was somthing I hadn't seen before

.Having looked at your posts sheds, it always seems to be negative towards people who come on here asking advice about electrics. What's your problem, if you can't help with the posts why don't you keep your opinions to yourself??? Consider yourself ignored!!!

.Having looked at your posts sheds, it always seems to be negative towards people who come on here asking advice about electrics.
It's not always negative - you clearly have a reading/comprehension problem.

What's your problem,
I don't have one.

if you can't help with the posts why don't you keep your opinions to yourself???
You deserve to be criticised.

Messing up your own electrics because you don't see why ignorance should be a reason for you not to fiddle with them is bad enough, but to visit your incompetence on somebody else is inexcusable.

.Having looked at your posts sheds, it always seems to be negative towards people who come on here asking advice about electrics. What's your problem, if you can't help with the posts why don't you keep your opinions to yourself??? Consider yourself ignored!!!

The best advice I can give you is to totally ignore BAS. Don't comment on his comments. He has nothing better to do 24 hours a day that do his best to drive people away from what should be and often is a very helpful forum.

I take it then that you don't think the OP did anything wrong whatsoever when he decided to do electrical work for someone else despite clearly not knowing enough about it?

You think that that sort of thing is perfectly acceptable?

I realise that to you that switch wiring is just a mess of brightly coloured string, but that's because you are very hard of thinking, but I can assure you that anybody who knew what they were doing, and had the appropriate tools, would have had no problems with it.

The best advice I can give you is to totally ignore BAS. Don't comment on his comments. He has nothing better to do 24 hours a day that do his best to drive people away from what should be and often is a very helpful forum.

I'd like to 2nd what Johnmelad said!

Oh dear.

Did school finish early today?

Tell me - do you think that the OP did nothing wrong when he decided to do electrical work for someone else despite clearly not knowing enough about it?

Do you think that that sort of thing is perfectly acceptable?

Just like to say thanks to Riveralt. The switch is all wired up and light is working fine. The friend I done it for is delighted with his new light and nobody was killed in the process.

Just like to say thanks to Riveralt. The switch is all wired up and light is working fine. The friend I done it for is delighted with his new light and nobody was killed in the process.
No problem, its good to see that your friend had the foresight to ask the electrician to wire in the option for an outside light.
Sorry about the BAS intervention, while most of what he says is technically correct, his inability to helpfully communicate at a DIY level leaves many of us exasperated.

Sorry about the BAS intervention, while most of what he says is technically correct, his inability to helpfully communicate at a DIY level leaves many of us exasperated.
I thought that these:
I'm curious to know why you thought it was a good idea to do electrical work for someone else when you don't actually know enough about it.
You deserve to be criticised.

Messing up your own electrics because you don't see why ignorance should be a reason for you not to fiddle with them is bad enough, but to visit your incompetence on somebody else is inexcusable.
were clear and communicative.

Still - you know best what befuddlement impairs your thinking, I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back