wirewool or abrasive paper inbetween coats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On varnishing new pine doors (polyvine wax finish varnish to be used) should I use a very fine wire wool (say 0000) or abrasive paper (say 210-320) between coats? There appear to be different thoughts on this across the net and I have no idea which to choose. Knowledgeable advice seems to come from this site.

Also after fine sanding (de-nibbing i think its called?) between coats should i use a tack cloth to wipe down or a cloth dampened in white spirits (again confused). If it is the dampened cloth should it be a rag just or a lint free cloth dampened in white spirits.

Looking to get a good finish so appreciate any direction on the above

Many thanks once again

Sponsored Links
On varnishing new pine doors (polyvine wax finish varnish to be used) should I use a very fine wire wool (say 0000) or abrasive paper (say 210-320) between coats? There appear to be different thoughts on this across the net and I have no idea which to choose. Knowledgeable advice seems to come from this site.

Also after fine sanding (de-nibbing i think its called?) between coats should i use a tack cloth to wipe down or a cloth dampened in white spirits (again confused). If it is the dampened cloth should it be a rag just or a lint free cloth dampened in white spirits.

Looking to get a good finish so appreciate any direction on the above

Many thanks once again

I don't know the product but having a look it seems like a varnish that will give a hard surface. If it lifts the grain of the wood and needs denibing wire wool may do it (I don't think it will tho). So you would need to sand down with fine paper around 320 grade or so.

You may still need wire wool to get into corners 'n things.

Watch. If you use wool you must get the stuff which is for wood working and not the easily available stuff (which is cheaper). The latter will leave black colour/oil behind.

You must lift as much as possible of the dust (tuck cloth, hoover, old tooth brush whatever you have).

If it helps a little...

Charles

I don't like wire wool and would recommend sterate coated silicone carbide paper for the flats but Webrax for the awkward areas.

if the paper is not sterate (powder) coated then the finish will clog it very quickly (unless you leave it for a few weeks)

Webrax is the stuff on the back of a wahing up sponge, available in various grades and non rusting/kinder to your hands

Sponsored Links
OK - no wire wool it is .....many thanks for your replies and will follow up on the type of abrasive paper recommended...ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back