Wiring a 2 gang switch to 2 separate lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am trying to wire a summer house project and I am a bit perplexed at this switch. I want the 2 gang switch to be wired so 1 switch operates inside lights and 1 switch operates the outside lights.

So far I have T+E coming in from the consumer unit and T+E coming going out to the 2 sets of lights which are daisy chained. The earths are pretty straight forward, sleeved and a strip connector but what goes where. A step by step would be good.

Attachments

• IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 12,371
Sponsored Links
Let's get this straight.

You have a line/neutral feed coming into the switch box and a cable out to the inside lights and a separate cable going out to the outside lights?

If so, you need to connect the incoming line to the switch commons, the inside light line conductor to L1 of one side and the outside light line conductor to the other L1.
The neutrals you put together in another block like the earths.

If you can wire one switch correctly, then you can wire two. They are not connected in any way.

Securespark you are correct and thanks. I think from what you are saying I would bridge the comms with a small bit of brown?

That's a big help

Sponsored Links
Have you managed to get this working, why are there 3 cables at the switch, i would expect only 2 cable if you've looped the live via the ceiling fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back