Wiring a 2 way switch for two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just moved into a new built house (built 2002). I wanted to upgrade my two lights in my lounge. It current has two lights and a dimmer switch. I wanted to change the lights and put a two way switch to control each side of the livingroom independently.

Two lights (i was mid install in this pic):

Here is the dimmer switch:

Here is the cabling:

It has 4 mains cables coming down (on the current dimmer switch, 2 red live wires going to common and 2 going to L1)

I want to wire up to this switch:

What do i do about the earth as there is no connection for this on my new switch?
What com goes where? Where the house builder used all red live wires...

To me this wiring doesnt look right? The 4 black neutral wires are terminated into a choc block behind the switch.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am going to ASSUME (not a good thing to do)

I will assume that on your present switch you have a pair of red wires that are the permanent lives.
And another two wires, one goes to each light.

You firstly need to find out which two red wires are which. You'll need a test meter, or a multimeter, to do that.

When you have found out which is the permanent and which is the switched wires:. The permanent lives. one goes to the COM on one side of your new switch, the other goes to the other COM. Then you'll need a short piece of red wire to link the two COM terminals as well.

Then you are left with two red wires which each go to a light. Put one wire in the SP terminal on one side of the switch. The other red into the other SP.

The earth you connect to the back box if it is metal. Or just leave the earth cables in that terminal block if it is plastic.
EDIT: where is the back box????

That should do it.

PS
To me this wiring doesnt look right? The 4 black neutral wires are terminated into a choc block behind the switch.
Those are the neutrals leave them alone. do not disconnect.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Great thanks for the advice. Well spotted about the back box! I took it out for testing the wires and the back box cable hole wasn't cut big enough, so it was stressing the cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back