Wiring a Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am trying to wire up a new extractor fan to the light fitting in my bathroom, the instructions for the fan ask for L, L1 and N I am not sure which terminals I need to connect it to, I have attached a picture of the light fitting:

Sponsored Links
You will require 3c+e to connect it up. I'm guessing this is a timed fan?

In between L/L1/N and the following terminals you will require a 3 pole isolator.

Brown between L and 5.
Grey (sleeved blue) between N and 6.
Black (sleeved brown) between L1 and 2.

Work in a bathroom is notifiable and RCD protection is required.

Hi stephen L=Permanent Live, L1=Switched

Bongos, this is a switched fan

I dont have much electrical knowledge! Do you suggest I call in an electrician or do you think I would be able to do this myself? The fan is labled well just not sure where to wire up the other end! If I were to call an elctrician how much do you think they would charge? Thank you both for your quick replies.

Sponsored Links
new install, the fans set up, just needs wiring.

Get in a spark. You need to run 3 core and earth (Live Switched Live and Neutral) from the light to an isolator and fused spur if required then back to the fan. This all needs to be tested and inspected and notified (Part P). Plus there are other factors like the location of the fan, safe zones, earthing, RCD protection, etc.

Adam

Connecting the fan via an isolator is a fairly straightforward job to complete. But it's not worth putting your or anyone else's safety at risk if you are not happy to do the work. Also, as it will require notification to the LABC to do the job properly, it would be cheaper to use a spark who can self notify.

The cost of an electrician to intsall the fan could vary. It may be that your CU needs updating if it doesn't have RCD protection. Also the protective earth bonding may need to be upgraded. If the former is the case then it would definately be a job for a spark.

Ask around family and friends for a spark that they can personally recommend and make sure that they are listed on this site.

Have a look here for more info on Part P and the requirement to notify work in certain circumstances.

Do'h! Wish I'd known that before I set it up! Thanks for all your help guys, I call in a spark. Any Idea on how much it would cost?

Thanks again!

Do'h! Wish I'd known that before I set it up! Thanks for all your help guys, I call in a spark. Any Idea on how much it would cost?
Thanks again!
"Can't see it can't quote it" as many would say on here. ;)

But if your existing CU/bonding is upto scratch (which is more likely as you have new wiring colours) then it will be less. FYI, all circuits in bathrooms require RCD protection now so a RCBO may be required if your lighting circuit is not protected by an RCD.

Ring a few sparks and they should give you an idea...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back