Wiring a Bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a bit of a problem at the moment, having moved into a property previously owned by a DIY enthusiast I am constantly finding "surprises". I recently decided that the 12v single light in my bathroom needed replacing. I removed the fixing and stupidly neglected to remember how the wiring was set up.

What I found was as follows

4 standard sheathed cables containing live (red), neutral (black) and earth (green and yellow).

I remember that 3 of the live cables were grouped together

I also believe that 4 earths were grouped together.

Wire "4" 's red and black were not finished, they were just loose in the ceiling cavity surrounded by scrunched up tissue paper (i told you the previous owner was a DIY enthusiast)

I have tested all live wires to find which is the switch but wires 1,2 and 4 all tested 12v indicating a transformer somewhere in the circuit and that all were live, even with the switch in an off position.

Wire 3 created an error message on my detector.

I have managed to get my new light working by feeding the relevant connections into blocks containing 1,2 and 3 (leaving 4 blocked off based on original setup) however this obviously bypasses the switch circuit as the light is constantly on.

I have tried to setup a switch by pass by linking the live lamp lead to the neutral of wire 3 (the cable that created an error message) but this doesn't seem to work either.

I think the only other option i haven't tried is to switch 2 and 4 (as I know that 1 and 3 are key to the circuit through test and learn)

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back