Wiring a bathroom shaver/light socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had what I thought to be a faulty shaver/light socket in the bathroom, so I replaced the unit, wiring it in exactly the same way as the old one...and the new one doesn't work either...so I suspect that wiring is to blame.
There are 4 wires, 1xBlue 1xRed 1xBare (Which I assumed to be earth, so I put some green/yellow earthing sleeve on it, and 1xYellow.
Both the Earth and the Yellow were disconnected from the original unit (old unit was plastic, new one contains some metal)

Any ideas what this yellow wire is for, and is it ok to remain disconnected?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Photo of new unit here:
DSC00185.jpg

Sponsored Links
Mr_Hat said:
Hi all,

I had what I thought to be a faulty shaver/light socket in the bathroom, so I replaced the unit, wiring it in exactly the same way as the old one...and the new one doesn't work either...so I suspect that wiring is to blame.
How do you know that the old one was correctly wired?

Wouldn't following the instructions for the new one have been a better idea?

Any ideas what this yellow wire is for, and is it ok to remain disconnected?
No idea - why not use your multimeter to find out if it's live some or all of the time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back