Wiring a bathroon ceiling light, switch wire issue

Yes

I think you need a meter to test the red pair.
Turn power off
Set meter so is buzzes when probes touched together.
Connect them up to the red pair.
Pull switch cord
Does buzzed start/stop when cord pulled?
If yes it's the switch wire and its been joined.

Thanks.

However, the mirror light is fine, the only thing I can't get working (or even try yet) is the ceiling light. Should I just do the same as you said but test by flicking the wall switch and not the pull cord?

Sponsored Links
Ok back!

Unfortunately it seems that my wiring is not straightforward.

Here are my test results:

Bridging the two reds when switch is on or off = no buzzing/beeping
Bridging either red to the other bare wire = no buzzing/beeping

All three wires of the switch cable behave no differently, individually, when the switch is turned on or off (I believe this helps find switched live?) but I've only listened for buzzing, nothing else.

If this helps at all, we lose every upstairs light if the bathroom ceiling light wires are disconnected. I have no other problems apart from this one light.

Cheers again.

Does the meter still buzz when the probes are connected together?

Turn power off
Turn light switch to on position
On the cable with 2 reds connect one meter lead to the bared red wire.
Probe the the red wires on the other cables and see if you get a buzz.

A picture of the back if the switch wires would be good.

Thanks.

I left this to the weekend for daylight purposes but ended up decorating most of the time instead.

I'm going to double check again soon but I am 99% certain that doing what you described causes no buzzing and there is definitely buzzing when I touch the probes together.

I've tried the switch on the wall in both positions as well.

Should I be testing with the two lives joined together (so the rest of the upstairs lights work) or separate?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
I guess you will have to carry on testing or follow the cables to work out what they are for and where the switch cable goes.

Back again after trying to forget about this for a while.

Can you suggest how I could follow the switch or do any further testing?

I'm probably going to get someone in but it seems a shame to get this far then give up.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back