Wiring of light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My hallway has a 4 switch light switch, as shown in the photographs.

The switch on the left controls a downstairs light that can also be turned on/off from upstairs.

The next switch along controls an upstairs light which can also be turned on/off from upstairs.

The next switch along controls and light in the porch, for which there is no other switch.

The switch on the far right is currently unwired.

Outside the house there is a security light, which the previous owner tells me is wired to be permanently on. Apparently, prior to there being a security light there was a normal light which was controlled via the switch on the far right in my photos.

I would like to replace the security light with a normal light and use the 4th switch to control it.

My question is this - can you tell from the photographs which wires I need to reconnect back to switch 4 in order to operate the outside light? You can see on the left of the photographs that there are two red wires joined together via a connector, and not easily visible on the photographs there are also two black wires that are joined together.

Does it sound feasible that all I need to do is put the two red wires that are currently joined together across Switch 4 and the outside light becomes switchable again?

Thanks,

Ackoman

20181130_140301.jpg
20181130_140412.jpg

Sponsored Links
What a shock on the eye. That red wall paper and all them wires

yes that sounds feasible. Give it a go.

Why you want to remove a security light for a plain light I don't know.
Either way connecting the switch back up is a good idea.

And that earth terminal on the front plate needs connecting to the green wires at the back, with a new bit of wire

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back