Wiring a burglar alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a burglar alarm that has been left partially set up for a long time. My PIRs are wired up (about 5), bell externally fitted and the key pad is in position - all wired by an electrician a few years back. I just don’t know how to finish it off.
The panel looks like this
48CABC80-B0D2-4324-9460-EBD9BEF4EA29.jpeg
58A658F8-9090-47B9-8DFA-98DF372FB917.jpeg

Can anyone offer any suggestion how I can wire this up, during the lockdown period.

Any help appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Rusophine, good evening.

Apart from the answers you will get on this board, can I suggest u-tube ad a possible way ahead for you?

Ken.

I have had a look. Just wondering

1. where does the bell go? Is it in the speaker +- sections, and leave the other 4 outputs.

2. The keypad section has 4 places, but there are 5 wires, any ideas?

3. The COMM A/T on the left (under the ac), what is this for?

Can anyone help?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Firstly be careful to make sure you have isolated the mains. The thing top, left is a mains transformer.
The PIRs are not wired up yet. You have your PIR wires I'm guessing the white wires with earth tape on them.
There will be 6 cores. 12v +-, tamper loop, and circuit loop. You need to think about the zones you want each room to be in. e.g. front door, downstairs upstairs etc.
You can daisy chain more than one circuit loop in to the same zone, but you can't wire them in parallel otherwise both PIRs must activate at the same time to trigger the alarm. You are going to need to find the wiring manual.

Thank you, the box and bits have disappeared, not even sure what make it is to find a manual.

I will continue studying up, thanks

I just don’t know how to disconnect the keypad or the current box from the mains.

I will take the fuse out though. Cheers

I do. That’s fantastic! I’m waiting for my resistance connectors to arrive, and then I’m going to give it a shot. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you so much.

Each passive will probably (or should be) on a 6 core cable, you might have to open one to get the correct colour sequence thats been used but they should be 3 pairs, +ve and -ve supply, alarm trigger (so those go to whatever zone you are connecting to) and the AT (anti tamper) which are connected to the little microswitch that goes open circuit if you open a passive and obviously alarms if wire is cut.

So I tried to set the alarm without the resistors today. However something is t right, please can you help.
The PIR are working and motion sensitive (as red light comes on when moving in front of all).
Keypad now has a power source (lit up), but not sure if it is responsive. When external bell comes on, can’t deactivate it with pad. The keypad acknowledges that button is being pressed, as it beeps on pressing each button. However, nothing else happens on display, except a wrong date.
- when external bell is plugged in, it sirens, can’t turn it off, unless I take the positive wire out.

does anyone know what the problem is?

thanks

Sounds like you have the keypad wired up wrong, the power will basically power it up and do the beeps acknowledging keypresses but it sounds like you have the other wires crossed somewhere.

Again it will be in 6 core, sounds like you have the power correct, but there will be two for anti tamper and 2 for data.

I looked behind the keypad, and it looks black, red, yellow and blue are plugged in, in that order, so I repeated this on the control panel. But no change. I initially had green instead of blue on panel, no difference. Shall I try all the combos?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back