Wiring a chandler to exisitng wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me solve a problem I have with wiring a new chandler in an exisitng wires in the celing.

The new chandler has 4 wires all going into a terminal block. The first block is netural blue, the second block is earth, yellow / green and the third block is live, brown simple enough.

This is where the problem is, in the existing lighting socket in the celing their is a terminal block at each end of the terminal block their is one neutral wire, blue and at the other end a live, redish brown.

In the rest of the blocks thair are four brown wires??? and two blue (excluding the original neutral). Then their is a two yellow/ green wires going into a small gold terminal???

So what do I wire to what into the chandler terminal blocks??

Any help would be much appricated I do have pics of the wiring sockets if the descripition does'nt make any sense.

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
There is a diagram of this in the WIKI (see the top of this page, right at the top)

upload pictures here: www.imageshack.us

(i have deleted most of this! i misinterpreted the OP's explanation!)

my.php
[/URL]

[/img]

Is your advice still correct after looking at the above? If so thanks for your help crafty1289!!, I'll let you know how I get on as I'll install it on Thursday.

You have 3 earths there. One for each cable.

All the answers are here.

(though that diagram shows black, substitute your blue wires, and for red, substitute your brown wires)

(My original advice is slightly flawed. look at that diagram, it is the best i've seen. i shall erase the incorrect bits in my other post)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
...Then the 4 brown wires need to go to a terminal all on their own...
I don't think that right. Three of them are perm live, one is switched live.

There's live in, live out, and live to switch. These can all go together. Looking at the third pic, the far-right brown looks to be the switched live, and this one goes to the brown of the light fitting. Mark this one in some way before you disconnect it from the block.

The existing ceiling rose is incompatible with your new chandelier. I have a similar chandelier and you have no choice but to discard the ceiling rose and use the fixing bracket and bits provided with the chandelier.

All you have to do is replace the plastic 3 terminal block with a 4 terminal block and then replicate the connections in the old rose. Then connect the brown wire to the single reddish brown wire (switched live wire) and connect the blue wire to the 3 black wires. All 4 earth wires should be firmly connected together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back