Wiring a door contact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a door contact that I want to wire into a Texecom premier elite panel and it comes with the following diagram. My PIR’s are wired in the normally closed config. I assumed there’s two wires here that I need to wire into an available zone but which ones? I’m not using tamper and assume that the contact doesn’t need power.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1139A211-CC36-4587-B65A-99406F8BC4F5.jpeg
    1139A211-CC36-4587-B65A-99406F8BC4F5.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 1,773
Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, can you dumb this down for me please!

I’ve got an expander plugged into my panel which has one wire for the zone and one that goes into a shared terminal for the zone next to it.

Which colour goes where please? Thanks as always :)

Sponsored Links
Use ANY colour you like to do any job.

The colours are your choice, they don't mean anything other than to what they have been wired to do.

Last edited:
But the door contact is pre-wired. That’s how it came. Surely, this means there is significance to the colour of wires I connect into my panel?

firstly I wouldn't recommend normally closed wiring for anything other than there 4 wire smoke heads and that's due to recent conversations with Texecom on how such a device would work in tamper, although I would recommend mains wired smokes anyway..

The main advantage of using resistors is so you can get alarm and tamper notifications for a given zone over a global tamper which could be absolutely any of the devices, not having a tamper at all is something I wouldn't recommend either,

normally closed wire red and black to the zone terminals, if 4 terminals like on the metal Elite panels then you wire to the first and last terminal for that zone
if using 4K7 and 2K2 wire Yellow and black to one terminal (the same terminal) and white to the other wiring is the same as normally closed back at the panel.

Thanks @secureiam. Can I please confirm that for the Normally Closed wiring, I wire the red and black into my panel and ignore the others?

If yes, I am wiring these into a 8XE plug in expander. This has one terminal per zone and the other is shared with the next zone. Does it matter which terminal the red and black wires go into?

Thanks for your help

so you have Z9 common Z10 , so whether normally closed or using resistors the wiring is the same . you need one wire to the common and one to zone 9 for zone 9, and you can have a second wire to the common and zone 10 for another device.

You shouldn't be doing the system normally closed full stop!!!!!

SO PLEASE USE RESISTORS, what PIRS do you have, and what zones are they wired to, and lets get you doing this a little better???????

I have the Texecom Quad PIR's. They are wired into all of the terminals at the PIR end but at the panel end, I only have the the two power wires connected into 12 and 0 V and then the two alarm cables in the relevant zone. I've not done anything with the tamper wires as yet...

I've never used resistors and to finish - I configured them as "Normally Closed" in the keypad. Hope that makes sense? I am about be schooled...

the elite QD's you select the resistors and wire according to the manul that came with them its straight forward. You say you have wired normally closed so you should only need to move one wire from the alarm terminal to one of the tamper terminals off top of my head I cnt say which one but I am sure the manual is very clear on where the wires need to go and what positions the jumpers need to be for 4k7 2k2.

Excuse my ignorance @secureiam and I am sure you'r suggestion is absolutely valid but everything now works. I could go back and rewire all the PIR's (approximately:cool: but what benefit is this providing? Can you put it in lay terms please. Thanks in advance.

1. Doing things properly

2. The real advantage of have a tamper associated to a zone helps you identify issues, or if while the system is unset someone interferes with the system.

Having a global tamper is better than no tamper notification, but one that's associated with a zone, may identify the front cover is not on correctly for that device, or the back tamper indicate that the pir is not correctly positioned in its housing.

If the PIR is not correctly seated and the housing correctly closed/ sealed it can affect the PIR's functionality but it also encourage certain insects/ spiders to take residence in the device.

As for rewiring, you will need to move 1 wire at the PIR end if its wired correctly at the panel, select the resistors, keypad or expander and change the wiring type.

opening the PIR, moving the wire and selecting the jumpers, reprogram the wiring type, a few minutes at the most.

To be honest I think its barking you have certain security issues addressed in the extreme and then ignore the basics of doing thigs right.

No point in having a premier panel tobe honest if you aren't going to use it properly???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back