Wiring a doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I wanted to know is it really difficult to install a video doorbell via a wired connection?

Getting the battery version ones are annoying as you have to keep disassembling the doorbell, charge it and then reinstall it.

Would you need an electrician to install it? I don't have a clue as to where you would get the connections from etc.

Sponsored Links
The google Nest one is pretty easy and you can get installer packages if you don't know what you are doing.

Ring doorbell with Ring power supply.
Power supply plugs in to a socket, and the two wires from the power supply connect to the back of the doorbell.

Ring doorbell with Ring power supply.
Power supply plugs in to a socket, and the two wires from the power supply connect to the back of the doorbell.
I am confused.

Basically I am purchasing a different brand on Amazon. Looks good, how would I go about wiring it considering it includes wireless/wired?

Sponsored Links
I am confused.

Basically I am purchasing a different brand on Amazon. Looks good, how would I go about wiring it considering it includes wireless/wired?
Do I need something like this: 24V 500mA Doorbell Transformer, C Wire Transformer Adapter AC Power Supply Compatible with Ring Video Doorbell & Thermostat with 8M (315") Long Cable(White) https://amzn.eu/d/7G92MfR

I am confused.

You haven't linked to the one that you are considering. I just see a link to Amazon.

We have no idea which voltage you need without knowing which bell push you are interested in.

Would you need an electrician to install it? I don't have a clue as to where you would get the connections from etc.

Legally, no you don't need an electrician if you opt for one of the plug in transformers (as recommeded by @flameport ).

In the past I have used existing door entry wiring and run it to a transformer in an enclosure, I have then used a flex with a three pin plug, perfectly legal for anyone who is not an electrician (AFAIK).

If you tell us the exact make and model of your video door bell we could then tell you what power supply you may require. Various different models on the market and require different power sources.

Thanks guys for all the advice. Just went ahead and ordered a wireless rechargeable on as the wired ones are costly because the doorbell and the transformer is sold separately and I am on a tight budget

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back