Wiring a fused light switche

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought some new fancy sockets and switches for my converted garage , the sockets were pretty straight forward but when i come to change the single fused light switch it , the light came on but it wouldn't switch on or off , any ideas? I've posted 2 pictures of the wires etc

Attachments

• 20211106_143344.jpg
    20211106_143344.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20211106_143338.jpg
    20211106_143338.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
You say there's a fuse in that light switch? I doubt that.

On the brown wires, were any of the ends 'doubled' over?

Could we see the picture of the original switch still connected?

You have probably connected the permanent live to the switched live. Did you blow any fuses/ trip any breakers when connecting switches ? I assume the light stayed on permanently,and wouldn't switch off ?
I also doubt the switch pictured has a fuse .

Sponsored Links
Originally when it was wired up before I even attempted to remove it , there was 3 earth wires in one hole , there was a 13A fuse in also

Attachments

• 20211006_150431.jpg
    20211006_150431.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20211014_094022.jpg
    20211014_094022.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 75
That's a switched,fused connection unit . Your new switch isn't.

You have probably connected the permanent live to the switched live. Did you blow any fuses/ trip any breakers when connecting switches ? I assume the light stayed on permanently,and wouldn't switch off ?
I also doubt the switch pictured has a fuse .

That's a switched,fused connection unit . Your new switch isn't.

So I just need to buy like for like ? Can I not just buy one without ? I don't know why there is so many wires , it's only used for the ceiling light?

Unless you have more knowledge than the person who originally designed the circuit it is unwise to leave out a fuse that was in the original design.

I suspect the circuit that your light is wired into needs to be fused down ,hence the switched fused connection unit has been fitted. Just replace like for like.

Why, sparkwright ??
Because if one brown is doubled over, and two aren't, then that tells us which wire goes on it's own, and which wires go together in a terminal.

You double over a wire where only one wire goes in a terminal (usually).

The same will follow with blues, as it looks like a switched fused connection unit is probably needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back