Wiring a Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help Please!
I recently installed a 20 amp 1 Gang Double Pole switch with a neon indicator to power two garden wall lanterns. The switch works fine, but I cannot get the neon to illuminate, although I know it's OK. Apart from the earth wire, I only have two live wires feeding the switch; the Live and the Switched Live. Where am I going wrong?

Sponsored Links
The neon bulb needs connecting between switched live and neutral - there is no voltage difference across two live wires! You should have run both live and neutral to the input side of the switch.

Hi its someone different, John. Aren't those switches fitted with the neon integral so that you only have to connect the Input three wires.

Sponsored Links
Its like the first guy said, these type of switch are designed to operate with a neutral so they indicate supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back