Wiring 20amp 1 Gang Double Pole Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help Please!
I recently installed a 20 amp 1 Gang Double Pole switch with a neon indicator. The switch works fine, but I cannot get the neon to illuminate, although I know it's OK. Apart from the earth wire, I only have two live wires feeding the switch; the Live and the Switched Live. Where am I going wrong?

Sponsored Links
looks to me like it won,t work as it doesn,t have a neutral!

I'm trying to learn how to wire a double pole switch and surfed on into this thread...

My oil-fired central heating boiler is wired up to a light switch and is on a lighting circuit! I wanted to add a neon indicator to show that it's on, so I've replaced the light switch with a Clipsal one with the replaceable plug-in modules. It has a DP switch in one side with a connected neon in the other. Trouble is , I'm not sure how to wire the DP switch.

Two terminals are both simply labelled "Load" (no indication of "live" or "neutral" ) and the neon came wired to these. The other two are labelled "Line" and "L1".

The orginal light switch was just wired with the brown wire from the supply line to "C" and the brown wire from the boiler to "L1", with the two respective blues connected to each other.

The way I now have the Clipsal DP switch wired, is to wire the brown and blue wires from the boiler into the "Load" terminals (along with the neon in parallel) and the supply line brown into the "Line" terminal, with the supply line blue in the "L1" terminal.

It all seems to work (!) but my question is: does it matter if I've got the blue/browns the wrong way round? I can't be sure if I have or not, because the DP switch doesn't have the usual terminal labels of "Live Load", "Neutral Load", "Mains Live" and "Mains Neutral".

Thanks in advance!

[Edited by Gwynston on 27-11-2002 at 11:18 AM GMT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back