Wiring a light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
I've just had my bathroom redone and the sparky I'm using was due today to fit the lights but is ill and now can't get back to me until after Christmas. I'm going to wire up the lights myself until he comes back and just wanted to confirm my method

Currently there is a 20 amp junction box in the loft with the lighting ring running through it. Am I correct in thinking I run the switch wire to it and connect the live wire into the live terminal, the other into the empty connector. The lights wire (4x7w LED zone 1 spots) goes into box, live goes to the the switch wire and the neutral into the neutrals on the ring thus making a complete circuit when the switch is on?

Needless to say all the earths will be connected.

Thanks in advance

Graeme

Sponsored Links
If you have a junction box in the loft and you are sure this contains the live, neutral, earth of the lighting circuit.
Then simply run live, neutral earth to switch. Then live from junction box to com/L of switch, terminate earth to earth terminal, connect neutral to a separate connector. From switch to first light fitting connect live to L1 of switch to live of light, neutral at switch to neutral of light, earth at switch to earth of light.
Then continue the process of live to live, neutral to neutral and earth to earth across all remaining fittings.
It is important some electrical tests are performed to confirm safety before energising the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back