Wiring a Nest smoke detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m just wondering if anybody can help me out with wiring up the Nest smoke alarm. The colours of some of the wiring has confused me..

I’ve got 2 brown, 1 blue, 1 grey, 1 black and 2 earth.

What does this mean for me wiring up to the terminals? I was expecting to wire up brown/live to one terminal, blue/neutral to another and earth to a third.

Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• AC26DA91-6B39-4F88-BECC-E9B2FE61EAE0.jpeg
    AC26DA91-6B39-4F88-BECC-E9B2FE61EAE0.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
You are going to have to help with a little more info. The wiring in the picture, what is that?

Is it wiring of an existing smoke alarm? are there others in the house?
Or wiring of a light fitting?
Or something else?

Quick question from me!
If you are replacing an existing smoke alarm, the 4 core cable (black, brown, grey and earth) could be interlinked to other alarms - do you live in a flat, or is this your house?

Sorry.. Many thanks for the replies.

I live in a house and it’s the wiring of an existing fire alarm which I believe is linked to the one upstairs on the fuse board.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in believing the grey wire goes in with the neutral blue and I insulate the black interconnector wire as the Nest system doesn’t use interconnector wires?

Am I right in believing the grey wire goes in with the neutral blue and I insulate the black interconnector wire as the Nest system doesn’t use interconnector wires?
There are four methods, in order of preference:
1. Use a voltage test meter or multimeter
2. Post a photo of the connections before you disconnected the wires
3. Post a photo of the wiring at the other alarm
4. Just guess. I mean those Nest smoke alarms are cheap enough aren’t they?

PS I don’t suppose that you are doing this because of new Legislation for Scotland?

As above!
Without test equipment, I would check the wiring at the other alarm - there's no absolute guarantee that it will be wired correctly :)

This is the upstairs smoke detector. So it looks as if grey goes into neutral and just insulate the interconnected wire from what I can see..??

Attachments

• 924ECE32-D763-4937-872B-E6710B55497E.jpeg
    924ECE32-D763-4937-872B-E6710B55497E.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 105

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back