Aico ei150 & ei166 Smoke Alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am looking to replace a couple of aico ei150 with newer optical ei166 smoke alarms.

The existing wiring consists of 4 wires (2 blue wires, 1 brown and 1 white) moulded into a terminal connector which plugs into the ei150.

The question I have is what do I do with the 2nd blue wire as the newer ei166 has provisions for 1 blue, 1 brown and 1 white wire.

Thanks
Kam

Sponsored Links
Doesnt mention anything pal otherwise I wouldnt be wasting my time putting up this post!!!

No smart arsed comments please otherwise dont reply!

I would say you need to look closer at the original wiring you have described, as I think it should lead to a connector block where you will find the actual fixed mains wiring. Whatever the white is connected to, this should be the interlink wire. Your instructions will indicate where the interlink wire goes on the new detectors.
Doesnt mention anything pal otherwise I wouldnt be wasting my time putting up this post!!!

No smart arsed comments please otherwise dont reply!

This is my final post to you. Hopefully we can send you on your way. I don't like your attitude at all, and any more of that kind of abuse will lead to me being instrumental in kicking you out ofd this forum.

Sponsored Links
Sad to see the increased prevalence of JohnW2 agreeing with posts like that.

I asked for genuine help not sarcasm! Have you read the instructions??? Is that really helping someone. I aint gonna tolerate the bullying either! I just warned people that if they where gonna be rude not to bother!!!

I asked for genuine help not sarcasm! Have you read the instructions??? Is that really helping someone. I aint gonna tolerate the bullying either! I just warned people that if they where gonna be rude not to bother!!!
Don't worry Patsy. You'll soon learn to ignore @ban-all-sheds.

Having just been installing some Aico stuff (3000 series), my guess is that the 4 wires described go from the alarm unit to a connector to which the fixed wiring is connected. On the later models I've used, the connections are made by plug in spades which mate when the alarm head is slid into it's base.
There are FOUR spades - two of which connect to the neutral - and this would tie in with there being two blue wires. The internal battery is disconnected when the unit is unplugged - and I assume this is how they do it. Looking at the instructions (see Aico's website), it looks like the Ei166 uses the same base as the ones I've just been fitting - and from your description, the Ei150 uses a different arrangement. You'll need to replace the base anyway - so you'll probably find that where those 4 wires go is a plug-in terminal to which the fixed wiring is connected. There should be a 3C+E cable between the units, and a T&E connected to one of them to provide power. Transfer the fixed wiring to the new base plate, making sure that you get everything right as miswiring is likely to destroy the units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back