Wiring a new door bell push button

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I recently had a new double glazing door fitted. Previously I had a door bell that was wired from the door frame. The fitters left the wire for me to wire up a new push button.

I have an 6A fuse in my consumer unit for the bell. I just bought a new push button and just read the instructions and I'm confused. Here's what it says:

Never install with both batteries and transformer together. This Bell Push is suitable for LOW VOLTAGE USE ONLY use with batteries or a 8volt transformer. DO NOT connect directly to the mains.

Can someone tell me if its ok to wire it up or should I get a refund.

Sponsored Links
How was your old one wired up? If you only needed a new push just wire to the terminals in the back and screw the push to the frame.

It was just wired to the push button bit so I just bought a replacement and was going to do the same.

Just a bit weary from that bit in the instructions.

In that case, if you haven't touched anything else just fit the wires to the new push and secure.

Sponsored Links
The push button you have is for extra low voltage or battery operated bell systems.
You need to check that your current bell system has a transformer that meets the criteria laid down by the push button manufacturer.
The bell transformer is normally located near to the consumer unit and should say on the unit whether it is an 8 volt transformer. Though sometimes it forms part of the bell unit itself.

Do you have the original instructions for the bell system?

Just taken the front of the bell unit and it says 8v - 0.6A and I have a 6A fuse in the consumer unit.

Just put the wires on the push button terminal to make the connection and it worked fine.

Never install with both batteries and transformer together. This Bell Push is suitable for LOW VOLTAGE USE ONLY use with batteries or a 8volt transformer. DO NOT connect directly to the mains.
It's about time that the manufacturers starting putting the correct terminology in the instructions and stop putting conflicting information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back