Wiring a new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought 2 new metal spotlight type lights for my house to replace the existing plastic ones. The first plastic one i removed had 3 wires, live neutral and earth which were pretty simple to connect the new fitting to. The second one has live, neutral, and three other red wires that are connected together in an empty choc block, and there is nothing going into the earth connection. I am worried that because the new fitting is metal, it has to be earthed. Both lights are in the same room and run off the same switch. I don't understand why they have different wiring configs.

Sponsored Links
can you get us a picture? In a two light setup like this I would expect to see a red and a (possiblly red sleeved) black to the live terminal of the light, three reds in a block on thier own and four blacks to the neutral terminal.

As for the earths there should be five of them, can you see the outer sheaths of the cables and where the bare earth wires go on coming out of them (or indeed if some idiot has cut them back).

thanks for the quick reply. i'll get a picture tongiht and post it.

i found this on another post which sounds exactly like my set up and also doesn't sound like an earth is present: "ahh loop in lighting wiring probablly the biggest source of confustion and blown fuses/tripped breakers in domestic diy wiring

the three reds are the permanent live and should remain joined together but should not be connected to the light

the two blacks that are currently joined together are the neutral and should remain joined to each other as well as being connected to the brown wire from the light

the final black wire (which should really be sleeved red but in your case clearly isn't) is the switched live and goes to the brown wire from the light"

the two blacks that are currently joined together are the neutral and should remain joined to each other as well as being connected to the brown wire from the light

BLUE wire from the light

Sponsored Links
The person who wired that fitting couldnt be arsed to drag the earth wires through and connect them properly. You'll find them up in that hole hopefully.

i reckon they just tapped the earth off the backbox(conduit)
you dont need a permanent feed(three reds together )as this light only needs switchline and neutral and earth because you already sent the live down to the switch and into the next room, off the light in the photo.
rewire it with proper earth wires

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back