Wiring a Pontec PonDuett 3000 .....

OK, you're obviously not getting it.

No, i am not, i thought i had...

Installation of a pump in an outdoor pond fed from an existing circuit.
Installation of a socket in a bedroom fed from an existing circuit.

They both require compliance with Part P. Would you notify LABC for both of them?
no. only the first one.

You seem to think that if something comes under Part P then it requires notification to LABC.

only if its a "special location"

Yes, this work comes under Part P (domestic) and it also requires notification.
Be specific - notification is a word you need to use.

as far as i can see, all you have said is the same as me, which is that as its a pond pump it comes under part P.

sorry, i still dont see what you are getting at

Sponsored Links
Wow! Can I come up for air now?
Thanks guys, didn't realise that this part p would cause so many problems, but I do now. Whatever the reasons for it's existence, one thing is for certain, as with all modern regulations, common sense and logic go out of the window. This is just as well, because the work is in the garden.
I do have a MCB or RCD electrical system in the home, so the double protection provided by another RCD Adaptor would seem very adequate here. This also appears to be the major stumbling block though.
It's a bit laughable really, because the instructions issued with the pump state that the unit must be connected directly into the power source, without a plug and socket. Hypocritically, it then states that the plug that the cable is connected to must contain a 3amp fuse.
Does this all mean that there is a wrong way, and then another wrong way of doing this job? Maybe in the next few days I might just get the connection carried out in the right way ..... sigh!

If you are doing a permanent job then forget the plug and wire the cable straight into a fused connection unit adjacent to a socket. You can still put a 3A fuse in the fcu. Wire the fcu into the ring and it will be protected to the same rating as your ring. So no need for a second RCD. Two RCDs can be a pain because you have to go and reset two devices, or at least find out which one tripped.

Unfortunately gardens are covered by the building regulations' Part P. Therefore you need to use an electrician or notify Building Control!

We're talking about a permanent installation here aren't we?

Sponsored Links
Thank you sparkyspike. Yes, this will be a permanent fitting, and I will, no doubt, take your advice. An fcu certainly seems to be the best option, and certainly the method that will provide peace of mind regarding the outcome. Have taken on board the Part P relevance, and will keep to the ruling, whatever the general consensus of opinion might be.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back