wiring a pr light of an an existing garage light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys im a total novice at this . I have a wire coming from the fuse box (6 amp) which goes to a round junction box where one wire feeds one light and then feeds the other light . now from that junction box a wire goes direct to the switch. now i wish to put a security pir light outside the garage , so how do i connect it all up. cheers phil.

Sponsored Links
you'll have to be more specific..
is it replacing one of the existing lights?
if it is then it's a straight swap..
whatever is in the Live of the old light goes in the Live of the new one.. same for Neutral and earth..

from the junction box run 1.0 or 1.5 mm twin and earth cable to a new light switch position; somewhere fairly convenient but not to be confused with the main light switch. from the new light switch run a cable to the pir light.

connect pir light live neutral earth.

at switch connect earths to back box terminal,
neutrals together in a connector block.
the feed live in common of switch.
the outgoing live in L1 of switch.

with power off, at the junction box connect connect live to permanant live terminal, ie the live from the fuse box.
neutral to neutral.
earth to earth.

make sure fitting is earthed.

alternatively feed new light from socket circuit via switched fused spur unit at 5A.

you'll have to be more specific..
is it replacing one of the existing lights?
if it is then it's a straight swap..
whatever is in the Live of the old light goes in the Live of the new one.. same for Neutral and earth..
Yes all i want to do is add the security light to the existing set up and need to know how to connect up the wiring to and from the existing junction box , or would i be better off adding another juntion box.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back