Wiring a pull switch onto flex for a plug in fluoro light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry to bother but I am at a loss (being an electric novice) as to how I wire in a pull switch onto a cord (blue and brown cables) for a plug in fluoro cabinet light. I have wired in the original wall plug to a new length of 2 wire flex (blue and brown). I now have blue and brown wires coming from the wall plug and coming from the light end. The pull switch is a 3 way type. Can this be used or do I need to buy a 2 way switch? The switch has a common, L1, L2 and earth connections (I realise the earth is redundant in this case). I realise that this isn't rocket science but you need to walk before you can run.
Hope somebody can help.
Kind regards Paul.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find that you do indeed have a 2-way switch, and not a 3-way. I had to wear nappies before I could walk.

Sounds like you already have a two way switch.

You can use Common and L1 (or L2 for that matter).

Join the blues together.

Live from plug goes to Common and switched live to light goes into L1

Join the blues together. The one from the light should be sleeved brown

Why on earth would you sleeve the blue from the light brown when it is obviously a neutral and not a switched live?????

Sponsored Links
Must remember Don't drink and post on here especially lots of red wine

Is it the red one with the blue sleeve?
banghead.gif

I'll explain again what what wires, etc. I have. 1. Standard wall plug. 2. White flex 2 wire with one brown wire and one blue (I have wired in the wall plug to the flex-no problems). 3. White pull switch with common, L1, L2 and earth connections. 4. Original wire from light (that was wired into the wall plug) it has one brown and one blue wire (there is no earth wire and definitely no red wire). The brown wire is live and the blue is neutral.
Kind regards Paul.

Hi,

Connect the brown from the plug to the common
Connect the brown from the light to L1
Connect the two blues together (a through crimp would be good).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back