Wiring a push-to-break switch with 3 downlights (diagram)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've bought a 2A switch that will break the circuit when our wardrobe door is closed. I also have 3 x 240V LED downlighters that I'm planning to install in the wardrobe so that they come on when the door opens.

Please could someone take a look at my proposed wiring diagram and check I've not done something stupid? The lights will only be drawing ~15W all together, so a 2A switch with 0.75mm flex should be fine I assume?

I've drawn the switched live in brown...obviously it'll be a blue cable but I'll sleeve it in brown.

Zc6XlED.jpg

Is this method correct and safe? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nice picture :)

Looks ok to me. The first junction box will need to be accessible.

Instead of having a second junction box, why not daisy chain the lights together?

Regarding daisy chaining them, I was under the impression that that would be the same as wiring them in series, which I thought was a no-no for this type of light. Also the instructions show them wired in parallel like that. Very happy to be corrected on that though, cause it'd mean one less junction box.

......................Series........................................Parallel....................
..................................................................(daisy-chain)................

FUW8CIVFB0B2607.LARGE.gif

Sponsored Links
Looks ok to me. The first junction box will need to be accessible.
Why do you need a junction box?
S'not my junction box - it's the one in the original diagram, so a question for F.O.
It was an open question - not specifically directed - I would have just wired from the switch into the first light and daisy chained through to the last.

Nothing inaccessible then.

Apologies.

And you're right, of course, re the junction box being optional.

I'd stick with the JB as proposed, probably on top of the wardrobe, and wire each DL back to there independantly.

Thanks guys. I didn't appreciate that daisy chaining them such was the same as wiring them in parallel, but looking at efli's diagram it seems obvious now.

To address some other points, there's no fireproof plate for the switch and riveralt is correct in saying that the image is just the switch without the cover.

Regarding the options I have for wiring the lights to the right hand junction box, I'm basically trying to minimise cable usage as I only have 5m of flex unless I go shopping. So that means I probably won't run separate wires from the junction box on the right to each downlight.

Anyway cheers again all. Any further thoughts are still appreciated.

Thanks guys. I didn't appreciate that daisy chaining them such was the same as wiring them in parallel, but looking at efli's diagram it seems obvious now.
I would suggest that you should exercise caution (and ask for clarification if there is any doubt) when anyone talks of 'daisy chaining'. I'm not sure about the rights and wrongs (even most dictionary definitions I've seen don't clearly distingusih between series and parallel connection), but some people use 'daisy chaining' to refer to any situation in which components are wired from one, to another, to another, to another ... (as opposed to each being wired separately from some common point), regardless of whether the components are wired in series or in parallel.

It is pretty rare in (e.g. domestic) electrical installations to have components wired in series, so 'daisy chaining' will, in that context, nearly always mean 'in paralllel' - but I would still suggest that you should always ask for clarification if there is any doubt at all about what someone means by the phrase.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

I've re-done my diagram based on what I'm interpreting from the posts above. Could I confirm then that the below is a parallel wiring setup and safe?

hU211C1.jpg

My first diagram was based on the instruction leaflet:

lNscXng.png

However I can't see any reason why it's any different electrically 'daisy-chaining' them vs. using a choc box.

Daisy chaining lamp to lamp doesn't present any serious problems with 230 volt lamps but can present a voltage drop problem when the lamps are ELV ( less than 50 volts ) due to the higher currents flowing. The last lamp in the chain can appear dimmer than the first one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back