Wiring a single 2 way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm trying to replace a single 2 way dimmer switch. The new switch has L1, L2 and earth? (a curvy line with an arrow through it). The old switch has holes marked 'load', line 1, line 2, & loop. It has 3 red wires going into it: a single red wire going into line 2. Then from a larger cable comes 2 reds and an earth wire - one red going into line 1, one red going into 'Load' and the earth is just trapped tightly behind the metal bracket that the switch fits onto.

Where do I connect those 3 reds and the earth wire into the new switch?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I'm trying to replace a single 2 way dimmer switch. The new switch has L1, L2 and earth? (a curvy line with an arrow through it).
If you are thinking the wavy line symbol is earth then NO.
The earth terminal will be connected to the body of the switch, if metal.

The old switch has holes marked 'load', line 1, line 2, & loop. It has 3 red wires going into it: a single red wire going into line 2. Then from a larger cable comes 2 reds and an earth wire - one red going into line 1, one red going into 'Load' and the earth is just trapped tightly behind the metal bracket that the switch fits onto.
Not 100% clear, Can we have some pictures?
You should mark the wires and take one before disconnecting, anyway.

You will need to put the three loop wires in a separate terminal block and position safely.

When you say '2 way switch' do you mean there is another switch which operates the same light?

Hi EFL. I've managed to sort it out now, thanks. The line 1 went into L1, line 2 into L2 and load into the common (the wavey line with the arrow through it - not the earth as I first thought). Thanks for your reply anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back