wiring a spotlight after removing fluorescent tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've recently removed an old fluorescent strip light from my kitchen to replace it with a more modern spotlight consisting of 4 bulbs. I'd guess that the old light has been there since the 70s or 80s and has a confusing array of paired brown and red wiring making it very difficult for me to assess which are necessary and which are not. (I've managed to blow the mains fuses 3 times now on wiring up the new spotlight.)
Basically, there are 4 pairs of brown/red wires coming from the ceiling, plus a thin solid copper cable, whilst the spotlight has 4 pairs of brown and blue wires.
Which of these wires need to be connected and what's the best way to do it?
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You need to wire up the new light exactly as the old one was. If you can't remember, you'll need a multimeter to ascertain which are the permanent live, switched live and neutral cables. The thin copper cable is possibly the earth cable.

I don't remember which way the light was wired and even so, it would be different to the spotlight wiring as the strip light only had one or 2 pairs of wires coming from it. Is there any other way of discovering which are the primary and which are the slave wires without using a multimeter? (I don't have one.) Incidentally, the wiring here has affected the ceiling lights in other adjacent rooms i.e some will work some won't depending on which configuration of wires we attach together.

Sponsored Links
Look in the WIKI and the FAQ section of this forum.
The info you need is there, but you will still need some simple test equipment and the knowledge of how to drive it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back