wiring a switch correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

greeny4

im trying to change a switch which has never been wired right since i moved in. The picture on the left is of the existing hallway switch upstairs which is correct. It is a two way connected to the downstairs hallway switch which is what im trying to change. Can you tell me which wires should go where on the switch on the right pic which is 2 gang, each gang has L at the top and L1 and L2 at the bottom. There are 4 cables, x2 red singles, x1 red and black and the yellow/blue/red which is from the the upstairs. Any help would be grateful as ive tried it a few ways but it still doesnt work properly cheers Rick.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
from the upstairs switch, blue to com and red and yellow to L1 and L2.

This should then operate the upstairs switch ok then.

are you saying change the wires at the upstairs switch? this switch has never been touched, its the downstairs swith that is wrong cheers Rick.

Sorry no, I meant the cable from the upstairs switch needs altering downstairs. So downstairs you will have blue to Com and red and yellow to L1 and L2.

The other downstair switch is a mystery though - once you have done the above and it works, let us know what wires you have left to connect!

cheers thats the upstairs sorted, now for the other gang i have 2 cbles, x1 red single and x1 red and black. 1 is for the wall lights and the other i think will loop to the kitchen lights or switch. I have looked in the wall lights and they have a red and black cable in them thanks for your help so far cheers Rick

now for the other gang i have 2 cbles, x1 red single and x1 red and black.

What do you mean by this? Do you have two cables AND 1 red and 1 black/red, or One cable containing red and black/red?

Please be clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back