wiring advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at the wiring in the house that I have just purchased( not moved in yet) and the lighting does not have an earth (early sisxtys) I an going to replace the Circuit, with new twin and earth, some people reccomend 1.5, and some 1.0 now looking on the tlc direct site it states that 1.0 is rated at 14 amp, surely this is enough? on a 5 amp circuit, or do I need 1.5.

Just thinking what would be the best to pull through, any advise on doing this job please.

Darren

Sponsored Links
its the 50 50 question, i would say 1.5, but you can use 1

1 5 will give you the option to extend in the future as it has greater capacity, but it is a little thicker than 1, and may be tricky to draw into conduit/capping for lightswitches.

thank you, yes there is only around 5-6 lights downstairs, so 1.0 should be ok, the upstairs is on the same circuit, most say it is a good idear to split this into 2, do you agree.

also the consumer unit, its and old unit, I would like to replace this, I would like a modern one with a breaker in and all the nice safe things, can you guys reccomend a good brand(model) with some links, TLC direct looks a good place to purchase from, do you no any better places.

Thank you for the advise.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Personally i use 1.0mm.

5 lights at 100W (max power u will use) will only generate about 2.5 amps.

if you are going to use low voltage lights which have transformers, OR if you are running cables through lots of insulation then 1.5 is usefull due to the increase in heat factor.

regarding your consumer unit, the variety of boards available is so wide that you can go as cheap as you want to as expensive as you want, normal or split load. The normal board people go for is 8 ways or more with mcb's and a 100mA rcd. Some of the uses are:-

lighting up
lighting down
sockets up
sockets down
Cooker
shower (with external 30mA rcd or on a split load 30mA side)
Outside lights
External supply (like shed, garage)

:)

The Wylex split board from Screwfix is a good buy, but if you intend to have an electric shower fitted then you should upgrade the RCD to an 80A rather than the 60A 30mA trip that is fitted .... still works out a few 3s cheaper than buying similar from TLC

pro.jsp

thank you, any more good online suppliers... where do all the pros buy from, I have a Jegs near me.

Darren

Yes, 2 circuits 1 up 1 down is good.

I also fit a sep light fitting and switch on sep mcb to cover the area where the cu is, so that if the lighting goes off, you still have light locally.

An emergency light (either maintained or non-maintained, depending on whether you need a light anyway) is also good.

I'll tell that to my wife Ban.

We'll have an emerg. fitt in every room, along with smoke detects and call points........!! :LOL:

yes i have seen a unit here

if you scroll down the page you will see it
protek or something, prob not very good, buy the look of it you can choose all the options that you want, a 9 way split, 9 free any good.

Darren

securespark said:
I'll tell that to my wife Ban.

We'll have an emerg. fitt in every room, along with smoke detects and call points........!! :LOL:
That might be a tad obsessive...

But if you did decide to, there's no reason to have to put up with this sort of thing:

EMWP3M.jpg

As long as whatever luminaires you use can take a fluorescent lamp you could use a conversion kit to turn one of those into an emergency light. Just make sure you can get at the batteries....

darren7 said:
yes i have seen a unit here

if you scroll down the page you will see it
I thought for a while that you were referring to the emergency light that comes up when you scroll down the page - very confusing when immediately after someone talks about emergency lights you say "yes I have seen a unit here"...

protek or something, prob not very good, buy the look of it you can choose all the options that you want, a 9 way split, 9 free any good.
N O ! ! !

ok Ban you dont like that, I take it.........

now this here

looks a lot better, this goy has loads that end up around this sort of price.

is this a good model,
and do you think the ratings are about right.

2X lighting circuits
1 upstairs power
1 downstairs power
1 X Kitchen power
1X Cooker
1X Outside shed/workshop

I have a small toilet downstairs with a electric shower, and a electric shower upstairs

What ratings do you think I should go for?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back