Wiring centre for central heating & hot water

Sponsored Links
That won't work. If say 2 zones are on, when one is no longer calling the relay will be latched on by the other zone. You must take the live in to the relays contacts from the supply not from the switching circuit. I don't know how the system is meant to operate so I can't comment further than that.
I see what you mean, the supply for the boiler ought to be taken from the permanent live through the 3 switches (2 zone and a relay) in parallel.
The thermostats ought to be on the control side of the zone switches / relay

Oops- left the thermostats off that drawing completely. Silly me....each should, of course, be between the relevant timeclock and valve (or just the pump for the water)

Oops- left the thermostats off that drawing completely. Silly me....each should, of course, be between the relevant timeclock and valve (or just the pump for the water).

And yes, see what you mean about the relays- so busy avoiding the loop from the boiler I missed that one. Drawing amended.....

There's another amend to make depending on how the pump overrun works at the moment.

And another option- with the relays buffering, there is no back linking to the motor of the valve via the valve microswitch. There is an argument that says the supply to the microswitch should be direct rather than via the timeclock/thermostat. Problem with that is if the motorised valve is manually opened then the pump will run for ever... if this is desirable (and in some circumstances it may be) then do it, if there were no relays involved then you'd have to do it (otherwise as posted above when more than 1 zone was calling they would latch on until all zones were off on the timeclocks)
3 pump control.jpg

Sponsored Links
When the manual lever is selected on a valve it doesn't leave the switch closed.
The valve is only partly opened for bleeding/draining.

When the manual lever is selected on a valve it doesn't leave the switch closed.
It does on every valve I've worked with apart from the British Gas branded ones on my parents system. Not triggering the switch was a bit of a PITA when the programmer failed at my parents - had to use a clamp to hold the lever over all the way to work a switch to get the heating to run.

But back to the OP's issue - I'd have thought the best thing to do would be to trace out how the current system is wired. Armed with that information, someone can probably suggest simple alterations to fix the problem without a rip and replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back