Wiring Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came home last night to tripped mcb on the appliance ring, washing machine, fridge freezer, dishwasher and cooker hood are fed from a grid switch.

Grid switch is fed via its own ring from the CU with a 32A mcb 2.5 t&e in one end 2.5 t&e in the other end and then links to the middle switches.

Anyway I removed the switches to find a burnt mess and the insulation on the live to the dishwasher melted.

Do I need to get the electrics checked out? Or is it more likely a case of a faulty DW?

House was built in 2004 if that helps (by a bunch of cowboys I might add) :oops:

Sponsored Links
It's probably a case of a bad connection at the switch. A terminal that wasn't tightened up enough.

All melted insulation and black copper on the wire should be cut back to good wire.

Is the switch itself ok? The switch will be a separate module and can be removed for replacement.

I take it the dw has a standard 13 amp plug on it and is plugged into a socket? Or fusing is obtained some alternative way?

There is every chance you should get all the wiring checked if in doubt.

Nah the switch is goosed seized solid and the one next to it is black, I did manage to find the switches, MEM selectra (think that's right).

In the end I ended up just ordering a whole new grid and switches as it was only £12 or so more expensive.

I just have a feeling it may happen again, I was swayed more towards an appliance fault than a wiring one to be honest, just wondered if there was any checks that could be done.

Sponsored Links
Grid switch is fed via its own ring from the CU.
Bunch of idiots.

Pray tell, why?

I just have a feeling it may happen again,
Why? Did you not do the connections properly?

Switch hasn't even arrived yet :rolleyes:

I was swayed more towards an appliance fault than a wiring one to be honest
Why?

Dunno assumed the dishwasher was maybe pulling too much current, no obvious fault with the switch, no signs of a short or damage to neutral or earth wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back