Wiring double oven and hob - pics included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done some research on wiring in my new oven I just wanted to check that I have everything right before wiring it up.

Oven Indesit FIU20
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/76642/Indesit-Fiu20.html?page=29#manual

I've bought a metre of 6mm cable to connect the oven to the terminal in the wall behind my existing cooker. The manual recommends a minimum of 4mm so I believe this will be fine.

Another issue I have is at a later date I will be connecting a hob too. The manual state a 45amp double pole switch should be fitted. what implications does this have on my main fuse box?

Sponsored Links
Cooking appliances commonly have diversity applied to them.

This means that you can have an oven and hob attached to a 32A circuit, based on the fact that everything will not be drawing load at the same time.

Well you have an Electrical Installation Condition Report 12 years out of date and I am sure you realise things have moved on.

You can change like for like but if you want to upgrade what you are using clearly you will also need to upgrade all that supplies it and you need to factor in that cost.

As with most things there are many ways to bring the installation into the 21 Century but I would say likely new consumer unit and new cable from consumer unit to kitchen and new isolator plus cooker connection unit.

With so much it could be worth DIY but unlikely. And anyway trying to get the LABC to accept you have the skills could also be a problem so sorry it would seem it's a get a scheme member electrician to do the work.

You can't really complain you have had a good run since 1988 when the board was fitted about time you spent out on an upgrade.

Kitchen work and consumer unit change is all notifiable work so not really worth doing it as a DIY job.

Thanks for your response,

The council have been round in the more recent past to check the electrics, and installed a boiler in the last few years on the current setup.

Im aware in the long run I will eventually have to get it all upgraded, probably looking after Christmas before before I have the funds!

but believed in the meantime everything is sufficient to install the oven.

Sponsored Links
Do you know the output rating of this appliance?
There should be a plate indicating this either on the external casing or sometimes around the door hole, visible when door is open. As I have looked at manual and I can't find that information.
This would be relative to having a dual connection for hob.
Is the hob going to be electric or gas, if electric any idea the kind of output power you will be requiring?

The MI states 32A, this does not necessarily mean that that is the demand that the oven does require to function. Diversity will allow for a 15kW to be protected by a 32A device.
But need a little more information from you.
As regards to cooker install:
*Isolate circuit and prove it is dead.
*connect recommended cable/flex to terminals at both appliance and outlet plate. Brown to live (old core colour red), Blue to neutral (old core colour black), earth to earth (yellow&green) any bare copper of earth cable should be sleeved, using green&yellow pvc sleeve.
*Then tighten any cable/flex grips on plates
*replace covers
*push oven in to housing and fix to carcass
*Energise appliance
*set clock (as some appliance will not function without the clock being set)

Happy cooking!

Also I think you'll find a meter of cable is not enough - don't forget you have the have it long enough so you can get the oven out without undue strain on the cable connections.....and move it to one side so you can get into the space where it's connected to the outlet......

Thanks for everyone's assistance helped me a lot.

Git the oven wired in and everything working a treat 1m of cable turned out to be sufficient as the oven sits directly behind the wall socket and the rear of the oven can be easily accessed.

I have now acquired a hob so require help regarding the energy consumption and if my electric are up to the task.

In regards to the oven as requested by PrenticeBoyofDerry I cant locate any information on the oven regarding the output rating info seems a bit scarce online to however i did find this http://www.mystylekitchens.com/pdf/built_in_appliances.pdf

page 10 seems to offer some info on power rating

In regards to the hob I have purchased it is a

cata EC60T2
Total power 5500-6600 w

I also believe I also require a dual outlet plate to replace my current one
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/1022/click-45a-easyfit-dual-appliance-outlet-plate

Thanks for everyone's help I will post up pictures of the finished project to help other novices like myself.

I have now found a label on my oven showing the output I have also attached an image of the rating for my hob.

I now need to know if my current 32A circuit is sufficient for wiring in the two appliances, making use of a dual outlet plate to wire them in side by side.

Thanks for everyone's help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back