Wiring Double Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old double oven that was installed at the time of the house being built 10 years ago was simply plugged into a socket with a 13A plug behind the oven. This socket is connected to a 45A cooker switch with socket. It has it's own radial circuit using 6mm cable.

We have just had a new kitchen and replaced the oven with a Neff double oven. The max load rating is 4.9Kw.

Does the cable have to be butyl heat resistant cable, the manual states it should be of type H05 V V-F or higher but I've no idea what that means. Would this be suitable? http://www.screwfix.com/p/3093y-3-core-heat-resistant-flexible-cable-reel-white-2-5mm-x-5m/80786

It's not feasible to connect directly to the 45A cooker switch that is above the worktop. What would be the best suggested option? Perhaps another cooker switch with socket to replace the normal socket behind the oven (I still need a socket there for the gas hob ignition).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Something like this is the normal way but one has to be careful with loadings. The cable needs to be able to take the load limited by the automatic protection device (Fuse or MCB) and when the 13A socket was used the fuse in the plug ensured this requirement was met.

Although the cable you have selected is good enough for the 21.3A load from oven it may not be good enough for the size of MCB used on the supply. Typical is 32A and either the MCB may need changing for a smaller one or cable but upgraded to take 32A and 4mm² just scraps in.

Thanks for your reply. It is currently a 32A MCB. What size would it best to replace with?

It is a 6mm cable circuit.

As I say, I have to have a socket there for the gas hob. Would the 2nd cooker switch with socket idea not work/comply?

Why would you want another switch?

You need one of THESE behind the oven.

Fit the connector shown above to the existing wiring and connect the socket from it for the hob.

Use 4mm² flex for the oven.

Sponsored Links
I see. Any suggestions which well known chain of electrical supply stores would sell cut lengths of heat resistant 4mm flex?

In relation to downgrading the mcb, the next one down is 20A, won't that possibly trip based on max load?

In relation to downgrading the mcb, the next one down is 20A, won't that possibly trip based on max load?
If, as you have been advised, you use 4mm² flex, you won't need to 'downgrade' your existing 32A MCB.

Kind Regards, John

I see. Any suggestions which well known chain of electrical supply stores would sell cut lengths of heat resistant 4mm flex?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4TQ3slash50.html
It is doubtful whether you would be able to obtain cut lengths from a supplier.

It probably wouldn't but that is not really the way to go for the sake of a piece of cable..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back