Wiring floodlight into ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a switch connected to the lighting circuit (in garage) which passes the wire through the wall to the other side (left hand diagram).

I want to move this flood lamp onto the 30A ring circuit and install a plug socket as the right hand diagram. The ring comes into the light switch, through two 30A terminal block which the 1.5mm floodlamp connects to through the switch. The ring then continues to the plug socket and back up bypassing the switch box.

Is this ok or not, the cable will be plastered over?

Sponsored Links
The new lighting circuit doesn't go anywhere near the flood lamp and the new circuit has enough on it already without a 500W floodlamp.

Sponsored Links
I want to move this flood lamp onto the 30A ring circuit and install a plug socket as the right hand diagram. The ring comes into the light switch,
But it doesn't.

And you may not put a light switch onto a 30/32A ring final circuit.

through two 30A terminal block which the 1.5mm floodlamp connects to through the switch.
Have you satisfied yourself that it'll be OK to have a 1.5mm² cable protected by the socket circuit device?

a 500W floodlamp.
Almost certainly illegal - I suggest you read Part L of the Building Regulations, and Approved Document L1B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back