Wiring for Outside Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed some outside lights however they are only temporarily wired as I couldn't decide whether I wanted to control them via a light sensor, a timer, or a combination of the two. Anyway, I've decided to control them with a TP Link Smart Plug which will bring them on at sunset and off at midnight. Hence my requirement is a 13A socket into which this can be plugged.

For context the lights are LED and the overall load is <20W for all lights.

1) Before I decided to use a Smart Plug, my intention was to wire the lights into the downstairs lighting circuit which is protected by a 5A MCB. I know it's certainly frowned upon to install 13A sockets on a lighting circuit, but if I were to install a Switched FCU fused at 3A and use this to feed a 13A socket, is there anything strictly forbidding this?

2) For the above question, I've deliberately ignored the fact the lighting circuit is not RCD protected as I have a separate question relating to that. I believe the regulations require that an RCD be used to protect "any 13A socket which could reasonably be used to provide power outdoors", or words to that effect. This socket will be in the garage so could quite conceivably be used for outdoors use, however my intention is to install it fairly high up on the wall alongside some existing accessories. As such it is out of reach without a step and therefore it is unlikely to be used. Would this be considered acceptable in terms of the regulations? I can label it as such if needs be if that makes any difference? Or is it an absolute no?

3) This is probably the actual question that people will answer! Given my lights are going to be wired up via a smart plug into a 13A socket in the garage - is it best to wire this via a FCU to the lighting circuit, not protected by an RCD, or should I add a socket to the garage radial which is RCD protected? The lighting circuit is the easier option as the cables already run to almost where I need them, but it's not a big job either way. The thought I can't quite conquer is: a) lighting is lighting so it should be on a lighting circuit, and given they're outdoors and subject to moisture, there's less likelihood of nuisance RCD tripping, versus b) they're outdoors and subject to moisture, therefore an RCD is a good idea?

Any other thoughts appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you have hard wired in external lights which are terminated to a 13a plug?

I wouldve though you would put a 3a fuse in the plug to provide overload protection.

Im not sure if or at what point the work becomes notifiable -you might get some critical answers from the pros on here......

I know it's certainly frowned upon to install 13A sockets on a lighting circuit, but if I were to install a Switched FCU fused at 3A and use this to feed a 13A socket,

Surely you have answered your own question.

Switched FCU at 3 amp feeding a plug fused at 3 amp on a 6 amp MCB with no RCD protection! 3 amp fuses have no discrimination against a 6 amp MCB.

Do it properly and spur off that existing 13 amp socket. You know it makes sense.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back