Wiring for outside PIR light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is 1.5mm sq T&E adequate, as 2-core, for a security light with built-in sensor (circuit protected with RCD in CU)? Will 2-core be adequate if I want a separate sensor too? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite sure about the original question.
1.5 T & E is a 3 core cable, which will be sufficient to supply the PIR light.
If you require the sensor of this light to control other outside lights you will need an additional cable from the light.
Your light fitting should tell you the max. wattage that can be controlled by the PIR. If your additional lighting load exceeds this, you wiil have to use this additional cable as a control wire for an impulse relay or contactor. :)

that's a fair comment, but the origonal posted question the cable changed from T & E to two core?

as for the additional sensor that would depend on brand of pir / light chosen, if you want multiple sensors i would opt for a system designed to be used as such, not try to add a stand alone sensor to a atand alone pir / light, which is what it appears you are trying to do

Sponsored Links
I think if Biblio submits some more details of what he/she wants switched, I'm sure we will be better able to assist. :)

breezer, JC GRAY: I thought T&E was referred to as 2-core. The Electrician's Guide, page 63, Table 4.7 gives 2.5mm sq cable as 2-core. I meant is 1.5mm sq T&E cable suitable for an outside PIR type floodlight with/without a combined darkness switch and with/without a movement sensor. They seem to vary in this respect. If I wanted a separate switch and/or sensor, then would this cable serve. Thanks

T & E, as its name implies, is TWIN and Earth, or two core & earth. When a cable is described as X cores, that does not include the cpc.

Thus, T & E is two core + earth
3 core is three core + earth

etc..

Sorry? you just said three core is three core and earth?

Did you mean 3 core is 3 core: 3 core and earth is 3 core and earth?

More to the point, the post asked if 1.5mm was adequate. Where is the power coming from? if it is from an existing lighting circuit wired in 1mm already, then using 1.5 will not magically give you more available current. If you are using an existing lighting circuit, then check it is not already loaded too much to support the floodlight.

i personally do not like flood lights in domestic premises.

I was at a mates house on bonfire night, every time he went to light the next fire work, so next doors flood light came on, lighting his garden.

yes ok the sensor could be angled down, but it was the "surplus light" that i found annoying, its a pity some one does not make "barn doors" for external flood lights

spectrepic.gif
this light has barn doors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back