Wiring for Single Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a Ceramic Hob connected to a Cooker Switch which in turn is connected to a 30amp breaker.

On inspecting the wiring for my existing single oven I noticed it is feed from the connection plate also powering the hob. Is this setup correct? I'm sure the single oven is rated at 13amp.

I'm replacing both hob and oven, the new ceramic hob is rated at 30amp and the oven is 13amp.
I need to move the oven to a tall unit 1.5m from cooker switch.

My main question: Is it best to wire single oven to cooker circuit and feed 6mm t&e wire from current switch to new location or make a new 13amp fused spur from single socket that is located on wall behind tall unit.

If the best way forward is to use fused spur, then is it ok that this switch is behind oven or will it need to be reachable above the worktop like the cooker switch is for the hob?

Sponsored Links
Is this setup correct?
Probably not, because the cable connected to the oven is probably not rated at 30A.

Is it best to wire single oven to cooker circuit and feed 6mm t&e wire from current switch to new location
That would be favourite - replace the existing cooker outlet plate with a double one:

pr2172.jpg

Use one side to supply the hob, and the other side to supply an FCU and connect the oven to that.

then is it ok that this switch is behind oven or will it need to be reachable above the worktop like the cooker switch is for the hob?
No, it's not OK - it should be accessible. Opinions vary as to whether being inside an adjacent cupboard counts as accessible, but actually behind the oven is definitely not on.

Thanks for the help.

Both appliances on the one Cooker Switch makes sense.

Another question: Is it neccasary to use 6mm t&e to the single oven or can I use 2.5mm. Also should I use a 45amp rated Cooker Switch? The breaker is 30amp.

Is it neccasary to use 6mm t&e to the single oven or can I use 2.5mm.
6mm² to the FCU - from the load side of that you can use 1.5mm² if you want.

Also should I use a 45amp rated Cooker Switch? The breaker is 30amp.
Then a 30A switch will be fine, but if you're replacing it you might as well future-proof it by putting a 45A in.

Sponsored Links
With both appliances running from main cooker switch are you sure I couldn't locate FCU behind single oven. It would make connection to oven simpler. The oven could easly be isolated from supply from main switch so not sure why FCU would need to be accessible also.

Thanks again for the advice

The FCU, when you asked about accessibility, was going to be connected to the socket circuit:
...make a new 13amp fused spur from single socket that is located on wall behind tall unit.
so there would have been no accessible means of isolation.

If you have it on the cooker circuit the isolator will be accessible so you could have the FCU behind the oven. The fuse will probably never go, and therefore you'll probably never have to pull the oven out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back