Wiring help for Hive Active Heating 2 (replacing Lifestyle LP522 programmer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the Hive Active Heating 2 (Black Friday) but I'm having trouble with the wiring. It seems my 20+ year old system is missing one wire - has 5 connected, but should have 6 wires.

This is the desired dual channel wiring diagram for the new Hive receiver which looks fairly simple if it was a straight swap:

I have a central heating + hot water system:
- Ideal Logic heat only boiler
- Lifestyle LP522 programmer/timer
- Hot water cylinder, pumped/gravity fed system/mid position valve, tank and room thermostat

This is the current wiring:
N - Neutral
L - Live supply (red) + Permanent feed for new boiler (brown)
(Previous boiler was switched by the timer but new one required a new core)
1 - HW/OFF (blue)
2 - **BLANK**
3 - HW/ON (red)
4 - CH/ON (red)

I tried wiring like-for-like on the new Hive receiver but when I tested CH, both CH and HW came on which doesn't look correct. I disconnected and put the old programmer back on to avoid any damage to the system.

Does any one know why my current system doesn't have a CH/OFF connection?
How should I wire this up to the new Hive receiver?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I opened the junction box on the wall and nothing's labelled. It would take me some time to work all that out but maybe that's what I need to do - but hoping someone has a quick answer:

Sponsored Links
How should I wire this up to the new Hive receiver?
Exactly the same as the existing programmer is wired.

OK, I did that but when I press the CH button on the new Hive receiver, both CH & HW comes on. On the other hand, when I press the HW button, only the HW light comes on (CH remains off). This makes me think I need to alter the CH wiring a bit to suit the new Hive receiver.

OK, I did that but when I press the CH button on the new Hive receiver, both CH & HW comes on.
That is a function of the Hive receiver, the wiring doesn't cause anything to switch on or off.
The Hive unit is probably in the wrong mode. Most likely set to Gravity rather than fully pumped.

Sponsored Links
The Hive unit is probably in the wrong mode. Most likely set to Gravity rather than fully pumped.
Spot on! Not obvious the mode when the status LED is flashing amber (in case anyone else has the same problem). Need to follow the instructions and hold the HW button 10 seconds - and check BLUE (gravity) or GREEN (pump). Thanks flameport - was very easy to install had I not overlooked that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back