wiring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want a timed fan to run off an isolater switch and not through the light,

at the mo i have 3core and earth running from the fan to the isolator, and then i want to wire into a circuit which already exsists as there is a spur from the lighting circuit to run a bathroom cabinet light...

Can i take it off there? and if so how do i pick up the switch live and the live?

all help appreciated :))

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So could i use the light pull without going through the ceiling rose?

If so how would i do this?

Not unless there is a neutral at the switch.

That is a neutral, not just a black or blue wire.

It is doubtful that there will be a neutral conductor at the switch - although there may be.
If there is there will be at least two black or blue wires connected together but to nothing else.

If black or blue wires are actually connected to the switch they will not be neutrals - just black and blue wires used for the switched live.

A lot of people think just because a wire is black or blue it will be a neutral.
Wires can be anything we want; they do not know what colour they are.

If you do not want the fan to come on with the light, and it is to be a timer fan, you will either need a pullcord (or a single pole switch either outside the zones or outside the room) to trigger the fan to come on in addition to the TP isolator, or else you can use a PIR to trigger the fan.

If you have a live feed already picked up off a suitable (5 or 6A) circuit, and it is convenient, you can piggy-back off this for the fan.

If you have room for the terminations and it is convenient, take the T&E feed into the SP switch triggering the fan, terminate the live feed to the common along with the live out of a three core. Join the neutral of the T&E with the neutral of the three core in a separate connector. Connect the switchwire of the three core to L1. Connect the CPC's through.

This three core then feeds the TP switch, the other side of which connects to the fan. Thus, the SP switch triggers the fan to come on. When the SP switch is turned off, the fan continues to run courtesy of the permanent live feed. For maintenance, use the TP switch to isolate because the SP switch will only isolate the switched live, not the permanent live.

If the manufacturers instructions insist on fusing down, put an FCU in with a 3A fuse in right at the start of the circuit (where you piggy-back the feed for the fan from), but there's no need, unless you want to put a switched FCU in, then you can do away with the need for the TP isolator as the DP isolator will isolate both the live and switched live as the fan has its own "on/off" switch.

The bathroom cabinet light will probably be fed from the lighting circuit. If it is that's half your problem solved. That will probably get you a permanent live and neutral, and earth.

If you want the fan to come on and off with the light you'll need to run a cable from the light itself or from the switch. What you need from these is a switched live, and an earth.

Then follow the diagram with the fan, or the one in theh wonderful and much forgotten WIKI
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:fan[/QUOTE]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back