Wiring help wanted

I guess nobody cares now but if both lights work its unlikely to be anything in the ceiling. Its a switching issue as it used to work before removing it. Switching the switch-line with the switch-feed is not going to do any harm and I'm sure it will work from what you can see in the ceiling photo and what jaydee has explained. Guess we'll never know!!

Sponsored Links
I care, Clive Sparks! I have learnt how to partially use a multimeter, and established that my assumptions were correct in terms of which wires were which, but perhaps not their true function as it stands. I will switch the switch-line and the switch-feed and let you know. As you say, it can't do any harm. Despite what some people maintain. I'm not fiddling around by guesswork, as some would suggest. I'm trying options suggested by other people on this forum, whose pro-active responses are much appreciated.
Sorry for not also thanking you before, bernard, for your earlier post.
If this option turns out to be correct, then am I right in thinking that a better long-term solution would be to then reverse the two wires in question at the ceiling point, so that wires in the switch are doing their "proper" job in terms of their colour coding?
P.S. My interpretation of Plan B appears to work, even when I try to stop it. Many Thanks, gents.

Double Effing bingo! They now work independently of one another. No harm done to me, nor Mr. Clive Sparks. But, then, I WAS wearing rubber soled shoes just in case of contact, and hanging Ethan Hunt-style from a helicopter I hired. Next time, I'll just trigger the MCB in the consumer unit, but this was soo much more fun!

i know, the shoes weren't necessary, but they were really comfy, unlike the harness.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about altering any wiring now, the sleeved black is in a twin and earth with an unused red which is cut short. This would be the preferred one to be used but we don't know its history and may have been cut short as its faulty. Just replace your fitting and switch and appreciate your new lighting control.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back