?Wiring in loft- unsafe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does this wiring look unsafe to you?
We’ve recently moved into the property and I assume this work was paid for by the previous owner. It is directly above the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Untidy yes, but would not say not safe, if worried get an electrical installation condition report (EICR) done, you should anyway when moving into new to you property as you have not a clue what last owners may have done.

Untidy yes, but would not say not safe, if worried get an electrical installation condition report (EICR) done, you should anyway when moving into new to you property as you have not a clue what last owners may have done.

Thank you for the reply, I’m actually in the process of arranging an inspection. I hadn’t planned on doing so until I saw this wiring!

Clipping the cables would go a long way to making it prettier, and would provide some strain relief for the cables entering that round JB.

Sponsored Links
fairly normal loft.

I would be more concerned with that beam being drilled through to pass cables!
Could have been done in the plaster board at the side

Clipping the cables would go a long way to making it prettier, and would provide some strain relief for the cables entering that round JB.

Okay I’ll have to sort that at some point- thanks

fairly normal loft.

I would be more concerned with that beam being drilled through to pass cables!
Could have been done in the plaster board at the side

Whoever built the place originally seems to have made holes in all the beams above the partition walls, is this bad practice?

Whoever built the place originally seems to have made holes in all the beams above the partition walls, is this bad practice?

Best avoided, but I daresay the house won't collapse. Best to put the holes in the centre of a beam if unavoidable.

Best avoided, but I daresay the house won't collapse. Best to put the holes in the centre of a beam if unavoidable.

Okay phew, good to hear.

The whole building/s was converted into flats/ maisonettes about 40 years ago- there’s all sorts of oddities about the place

Do I guess all those T&E's are for downlighters.

That’s the worrying part.. There’s only 2 lights in the bathroom- one on the ceiling and one above the mirror. There’s an extractor fan too.

It seems like alot of wiring for 3 things but I know nothing about electrics!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back