Wiring in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been up in my loft to see what I could do about putting down some loft boarding down.

Now there are a fair few what look like steel pipes running over the joists with wire connecting to them every so often. Now there are the more upto date grey electrical wires up there but is the old stuff likely to be still in use? I take it is old wiring, something like the nub and tube stuff you here about on Holmes on Holmes?

Certainly puts a kink in my good intentions!!

Sponsored Links
photo's? we like to see stuff like this..

and no, not really put a crimp in your plans..
the residents on the "floors, stairs and lofts" section of the forum tend to recomend putting timbers across the loft joists and the boards on top of that..

Knob and tube. And no, that system was never used here. Thank god.

However, steel conduit wiring was and still is used. In a residential house though, its likely to be very old. Only you can see if its still connected to anything. Photos of these "joints" would be nice.

Photos of these "joints" would be nice.

Bah humbug I've just packed everything away :( Unfortunately I don't have a loft ladder so it's a matter of getting a ladder upstairs each time I want to go see the loft.

I shall be up there again tomorrow so I shall take a pic if I can. Not only do I have those I also have other joists, 3 or 4, going perpendicular the on top of the others, it's never easy is it?? :cry:

Sponsored Links
As has been said, it is likely to be black enammeled drawn steel conduit, and probably contains VIR cloth covered cables, dating from around 1930ish.

It may still be live. Plent of it still is, although if it is it needs to be replaced.
If you have modern cables in the loft then hopefully it has already been disconnected, but left in place as it was easier not to remove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back