Wiring in new light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Last year the CU was replaced and the sparky kept all the lights on one circuit as they were on the old fuse box. The light in the loft and the light under the stairs were wired in before we moved in and are done as so;

Live from CU to switch, switch to light and back to CU. Neutral from CU to light, back to CU. Click here for a diagram...

These were left as is and put on their own MCB in the CU. I've put up an outside light and can't find any easy way of breaking in to the main lighting circuit to connect it up. Is the method I described ok? Should I just replicate how the two independent lights had been done previously?

If so, where is the best place to connect the light in. If it's directly in to the fuse box (the new switch is under it and the outside light 18 inches from that) is it safe to do with the main RCD off?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Jim

(Someone suggested I just put a plug on the end and be done with it - I'd rather do it "properly", but for safety and ease would it be better? Done plenty with main circuits but not needed to touch the lighting before.)[/url]

Sponsored Links
I am not sure who put that in that way.

Ring main - Cables return to CU
Radial Circuit - Do not return to CU and are generally a larger cable

Lighting circuits - Do not return to CU. They finish at point of light or point of junction.

If all the cables were connected that way the light would be permantly on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back