Wiring in PIR Secruity light, after recent break in

Thanks all,
I take its okay to run 2 lights off one fused spur?

Hopefully it'll put would be burglars off, along with cameras eventually

Sponsored Links
Sure, why not.

By the way. if you are to interlink the lights (ie both come on if either PIR detects movement) then
1. You would need 3 core and earth cable beteen the lights
and
2. Make sure you buy PIR lights that can be interlinked.

Could I connect it off one of these and fit a fused spur as these seem to wired into a rcd unit above email bathroom for the spotlights

Mean I could drop the cables down from eaves to locations.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20160303_183823.jpg
    20160303_183823.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Could I connect it off one of these and fit a fused spur as these seem to wired into a rcd unit above email bathroom for the spotlights

Cheers
Could do with some clips to provide strain relief at those junction boxes.

Cheers
Could do with some clips to provide strain relief at those junction boxes.

Yeah doesn't look the best job, wiring all over the loft.

Hopefully in 2-3years im going to get a spark to rewire my house, so I know its safe. Im getting a new garage built and want power so im assuming im going need my fuse board changed to a consumer unit, and a rcd fitted and then dig a new trench to my garage round the house so its safe,

Cheers

Better to get the garage supply off the house CU completely - tell your electrician you want him to split the tails and put a switchfuse in.

I fitted an outside light just before Christmas after two days the tube (120W) had failed, likely my fault light not firm enough and vibrated in the wind, but as a result taken down again and a LED replacement tube ordered 5W it arrived late Jan so put it back up with LED replacement for the tube and seemed to work well, however just two weeks latter after some really high winds and rain found stuck on and the PIR half full of water. Opened PIR drained water and drilled small hole so in future water can get out (1/16 inch) since then it has worked OK.

However my experience shows the need to be able to isolate and be able to reach for maintenance. Maybe I got a bad lamp one before lasted years before the Ikea 8W CFL welded itself to the bulb holder and rendered it useless. Seems great idea to use three core and earth and link lamps, until one fails and all lamps stop working as a result. They are outside in all weathers so make it easy to isolate and reach if required.

Sorted it all at the weekend, fed from a socket on the ring main through a fused spur then direct outside, rang the cables to the lights via waterproof connection box so I can tee all three in, I decided to have sensors working separately

Cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back