Wiring in some "fairy lights"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My daughter wants some fairy lights in her bedroom. She is a bit young still to cope with plug sockets, but gets on well with here exiting light I put in for her which operatetes with a pull string.

I'm looking for some ideas on how one would go about installing a perminate set of lights, which can be switched on and off with a bathroom-type pull string.

The set of lights we are looking at getting are designed to be plugging into the mains.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
have them plugged in and flex going to a pull cord on the ceiling and then to the lights?

Install a plug in ceiling rose, and a pull cord switch to oparate it, and fit the special plug to the fairy lights

ASPCR2000.JPG

Adam_151 said:
Install a plug in ceiling rose, and a pull cord switch to oparate it, and fit the special plug to the fairy lights

Would work well, aslong as the set doesn't incorporate a plug-in type transformer, as most seem to these days.....bring back the 240 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well, the fairy lights usually use 12v lamps, connected in series.....

So, 20 lamps (average length), would be 20x12=240volt ;)

But, if the mains voltage was 230volt, ideally you would need 20 lamps that are rated at 11.5volts. I doubt weather the manufacturers could produce a filament accurately enough :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the replies. I had a look in our local B&Q & Homebase for a plugin ceiling rose, but couldn't find one, so I guess I'll have to get one off the net.

The lights are currently connected via a 3amp fuse in the plug. I assume the plug in ceiling rose isn't fused...

Make sure you have something to mount the plug in rose to as well, tlc sell some mounting boxes for them, I also belive they fit onto standard conduit boxes.

And no fuse required, the fuse/mcb on the lighting circuit will be enough, the only reason we have fused plugs in this country is because we use 32A socket circuits

A circular dry-lining box would be ideal to flush mount the plug-in rose.

Again, this is only suitable if there is no plug/trannie, but you could use a 2A socket for connection to the lights.

The set we have brought is just a streight into the mains job, no transformer or box. The lights do flash, but I belive it's the bulbs themselvs that do it.

Thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back