wiring light help - four cables and three switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of changing my mother in laws hall light from a ceiling rose to a new style hanging multi lamp light.

I wasnt expecting to find four cables connected to the old ceiling rose. I have added a picture as below.

lamp.msg.jpg

I have connected all the lives together in one block. I have also connected the neutrals together and the earths. The new light I have connected the live to the switch, the neutral to the neutral block and the earth to the earth block.

When I put the power back on I realised that there was a walllight also in the hall that was permanently on. There are also two separate switches (at either end of the hall) both that control the main hall light (that im changing) and one of them is a double with the other swiitch controlling a light outside in the front of the house.

I think I have found which cable feeds the little wall light as when I disconnect the neutral from the neutral block, the wall lamp goes out.

I do not know how to connect it so the wall lamp will go on and off with one of the switches.

All help would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
You have to connect the wires as they were when it worked properly.
You might need a spare connector for the Lives.

upload_2021-6-4_17-17-12.png

Ahh thank you very much. So in my new set up I have put all the live's together including the 'other light' live. I had tried putting the neutral from the other light to the switch but thats obviously wrong, which I see should go to the neutrals block.

So I should end up with three lives together in one block, three neutrals together in one block, and another block with the switch wire and the live wire from the 'other lamp'.

I then connect the new lamp - Live to switch, neutral to neutral block and earth to earth.

Is this all correct?

If so, I will give it a go tonight.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back