Wiring lights up in parallel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please check my attached diagram to see if i have the right idea about wiring them correctly. I hope the diagram isnt too odd but it shows a cable coming from the fusebox to a switch then through each of the holders. This would only be a temporary wiring setup for the loft with 3 lamps (40w each) being switched on and off together from one end. I want to wire in parallel as opposed to series because i dont wish to add separate switches to each lamp. Also it means if the first lamp dies the other two will still light up. Would this work and should i make any changes? thanks

Sponsored Links
- Installing a new circuit is notifiable
- You should use 1mm or 1.5mm twin and earth, not 0.75 flex or anything else
- How do you plan to connect the switch?
- You'd still wire the lights in parralel regardless of how you wanted them switching, you'd only wire them in series if you like living in teh (relativly) dark :LOL:
- Buy some green/yellow sleeving for the earths... we haven't used the plain green stuff for many decades ;)

Your diagram is correct. However, your understanding of series and parallel circuits is not (you're confusing series with loop-in/out or daisy-chaining).

You would still wire them in parallel even if you wanted a separate switch for each. If you wired them in series each would only light dimly, and all three switches would need to be turned on for any of them to light - at which point they would all light.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/seriespa.htm

Series circuits are not used in domestic cabling, they are all parallel. But I can see what you want to acheive.

Are you using twin and earth as this comes in a minimum size of 1.0mm² ?

Join Neutral through and Earth through at switch and there you go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

Ive tried the wiring out with some t&e as a test run. Not in the loft just on a bench at the moment and its working. Can anyone have a look at my earthing for the socket below. Ive just connected both earth wires to the terminal. I want to make sure they would be safe before i begin installation in the loft just in case anyone touches the lamps when they are on. Is this ok apart from the earthing sleeve (I will get some for the final install)? thanks

The wiring will work. How do you propose to wire the switch, which will have a COM and L1 terminal?

CAGS4SLASH10.JPG

You MUST sleeve the cpc / earths.

Look at the Wiki- Electrics- Uk - Lighting for the nice basic diagrams for wiring lights with the switch shown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back