wiring lights with1 circuit but 2 switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all new to the forum and have a little question :D

im wiring 2 seperate rooms of lights using twin and earth,i have 2 seperate switches,1 switching 2 lights and the other switching 4.id like to switch them independently of each other,so how to i do this?

do i run my live into 1st switch then just loop it to next switch?then from switch a would go straight to lights independently in each room?

thanks any comments appreciated!

Sponsored Links
ok thanks,so i would go straight into 1st light,loop in all the way to last light(connecting lights in both rooms together?)then run from 1 light in each room to corresponding switch in normal 1 way wiring?

Sponsored Links
they are large flourescent ones,about 1500mm in length,its for a project im doing at work,meant to say 2 of them in one room and another in the other room are emergency to be non-maintained,would i have to use 4 core for this or wcould i just link from the live?

Some emergency fittings give you the choice of maintained or non maintained in this case they will be 5 terminal - Maintained+N+E+Sw Wire+Non Maintained, the live wire going into the choice of terminals. Usually they are purchased as maintained or not, therefore 4 terminal L+N+E+Sw Wire, Live feeding the charger, Switch Wire feeding the lamp.
Maintained would only require 3 wires - L+N+E.

Maintained emergency fittings have 4 terminals, L,N,E for a permanent supply and a 4th terminal for the switched live.
They work in the same way as a normal light (can be switched on/off) and will illuminate when the power fails.
If required, they can be permanently on by fitting a link between the permanent live and switched live.

Non maintained fittings have 3 terminals, L,N,E for a permanent supply. They only illuminate when the power fails.

For both types, a test switch is required which will disconnect the permanent supply to confirm that the lights will work from the batteries. This is usually a type requiring a key to operate it.

Don't buy Eterna fittings if you want to use the switching, their maintained version is by a link only and unless you have an individual switch or relay cannot be switched with other fittings.
Also I take it you are aware of your duties under the EAWR? Are you under the supervision of a skilled and competent person?

Is the link not just between a live out and the other terminal.
Just test which one is the live out and not use it,if it is 240V, and just put your switchline in the other, it worked for me ,cannot recall the make though.

Yep, Eterna have a pair of terminals. One is a permanent live out and the other switches the fitting however the perm live out is downstream of the PCB fuse.

yes under supervision :D was just curious of how it was done as hadn't done lighting circuits in 3 core and and earth before,only singles.

ok now though been shown how to do it,i was mainly looking to find out where wires would go,i.e going straight into switch with 3 core but putting neutral in connector block then straight to fitting,as i'd only ever done it in singles i just went straight to fitting with neutral,obviously not having to go to switch as cable isn't in sheaving with live etc.

all is cleared up now though and i've gotten the jist of it,thanks for all comments :D

clearly not a fault of mine :D

and as the jobs i work on are mainly schools and general large commercial projects i dont get experience of all different systems. the lights we use are mainly prewired 3 or 4 core flexes which just plug straight into back of the light and an lcm,this is the first time i've had to wire lights like this,sorry :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back