Wiring Mains Smoke Alarm

Sponsored Links
The linking is to activate all sirens in all the alarms, so if one is activated they all sound?

Thinking about it, if one alarm ca be heard in all of the house, then I would say that would be fine.

What do most think about that?

Absolutely not. LABC would not issue a comp cert for works if the smokes are not linked.

I sort of see where your thought logic is, but it's flawed.

Take my place kitchen on rear extension, with door closures to every room. Us on 2nd floor and in post party sleep. We wouldn't hear the kitchen alarm.

Smokes are installed as an early warning system to save lives, inter linking might be a pain, but is an essential requirement to give full cover.

The linking is to activate all sirens in all the alarms, so if one is activated they all sound?

Thinking about it, if one alarm ca be heard in all of the house, then I would say that would be fine.

What do most think about that?

Absolutely not. LABC would not issue a comp cert for works if the smokes are not linked.

I sort of see where your thought logic is, but it's flawed.

Take my place kitchen on rear extension, with door closures to every room. Us on 2nd floor and in post party sleep. We wouldn't hear the kitchen alarm.

Smokes are installed as an early warning system to save lives, inter linking might be a pain, but is an essential requirement to give full cover.

Point taken. If a small house and all alarms will be heard all over the house then an intelligent assessement would say OK to not link them; in a house not required to have them at all then two alarms is something that was not there before, so a plus.

Sponsored Links
Correct, standard interlink = 3c+e. Even though the earth does nothing.

Do not be tempted to use TE with the earth used as the interlink !

I take it you understand the sense in having a heat unit (not a smoke) in the kitchen.

A more important reason for multi units is that a fire in say a reception room will have become a killer by the time a kitchen unit sensed the heat / smoke.

Hence why a hotel will have a detector in every room. Ideally homes should have the same.

Most go for kitchen and every hall ceiling. If you smoke (does anyone smoke indoors now?) or have open fires I'd recommend detection in the common areas plus those 'at risk'.

Correct, standard interlink = 3c+e. Even though the earth does nothing.

Do not be tempted to use TE with the earth used as the interlink !

I take it you understand the sense in having a heat unit (not a smoke) in the kitchen.

A more important reason for multi units is that a fire in say a reception room will have become a killer by the time a kitchen unit sensed the heat / smoke.

Hence why a hotel will have a detector in every room. Ideally homes should have the same.

Most go for kitchen and every hall ceiling. If you smoke (does anyone smoke indoors now?) or have open fires I'd recommend detection in the common areas plus those 'at risk'.

No open fires. It is obvious why, heat in kitchen and smoke in the hall.

In the last house with a smoke detector on the ground and 1st floor hall ceilings, when toast burnt the downstairs detector sensed it and set the two off (a nusiance). Realistically it needed a heat detector in the kitchen and get rid of the smoke detector on the ground floor ceiling.

Chris do you think you are being taken for a ride here!

Inane questions followed by further inane questions.

Read the OP's other posts!

Chris do you think you are being taken for a ride here!

Inane questions followed by further inane questions.

Read the OP's other posts!

Passing over info doesn't cost me nowt, and I tend to feel good if I've helped someone out.

If the OP is just cranking some weird handle for even weirder reasons that's his 'bad' not mine.

One point on this topic. If having a smoke and heat alarm units in the hall and kitchen. Do they need to be connected together, or can they be both directly connected to a supply and not to each other?

Retrofitting can mean a long 4 core cable between the two of them, while directly wiring both from say the same light circuit, would be far easier and less hassle and destructive mess in a house.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE ASKING ALL THIS STUFF IN A TOPIC OF YOUR OWN, RATHER THAN HI-JACKING THIS POST, WHICH DOESN'T HELP THE OP AT ALL?!

HOPEFULLY A MODERATOR CAN REMOVE ALL YOUR JUNK.

One point on this topic. If having a smoke and heat alarm units in the hall and kitchen. Do they need to be connected together, or can they be both directly connected to a supply and not to each other?

Retrofitting can mean a long 4 core cable between the two of them, while directly wiring both from say the same light circuit, would be far easier and less hassle and destructive mess in a house.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE ASKING ALL THIS STUFF IN A TOPIC OF YOUR OWN, RATHER THAN HI-JACKING THIS POST, WHICH DOESN'T HELP THE OP AT ALL?!

HOPEFULLY A MODERATOR CAN REMOVE ALL YOUR JUNK.

It is far from junk and related to this topic. I care not a jot about your opinion. I hope the Mod ignores such childish comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back