wiring for mains powered smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have recently moved into a new house. It has two mains powered smoke alarms fitted which are very yellowed and ugly. I want to replace them with new ones. I had a look at the wiring behind them and I found 3 wires, one brown, one blue and one orange. They are the same in both detectors.

I haven't changed a mains smoke alarm before, what does this colour coding mean?

Any opinions etc. gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
New smoke alarms will come with the wiring diagram. You will find that your brown blue and orange will be connected to a three core and earth in the upstairs detector and normally a twin and earth, and the other end of the three core in the downstairs detector.

Not wishing to be rude, but this isn't something you want to practice on. If you get it wrong and the alarms are not activated when they need to be............ :!:

I have additional battery powered smoke detectors in lounge, off kitchen and bedrooms, it would seem the previous owner was a little paranoid. However, the current mains ones look horrible. Will pick up a couple, wire them in and then off course test them with smoking splint.

Thanks

Andy

If you get your smoke alarms from a wholesaler you should be able to also get a can of 'smoke' from them at the same time. This saves your house from smelling of smoke when you test them.

Sponsored Links
Brown will be your live
Blue your neutral
and orange the interconnect between the two.

Normally fed off of the lighting circuit but should ideally be on their own circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back